We truly DESIRE to do this with our children at this point in their lives. It's not because we believe we've been commanded, we just both keep having a strong pull on our hearts that this is the right direction. Mine was much more of a battle back and forth than Kenny, I attribute that to the fact that it was very easy for him to decide we should do preschool at home when he works for 12-16 hours and I stay home to do the schooling. ;) I kid I kid...Kenny wants the best for our children and he believes that's ME right now! ~Swoon~
Another reason came after talking to my Aunt Roseanne. She is a well known early education educator...lol. She has her PhD in early education and focuses her entire career and life on developing and creating programs and curriculum for preschool age children, teaching teachers and opening preschools all over! She is one of the most intelligent women I know and fabulous with little munchkins. So needless to say, I have been seeking her advice a lot in making this decision. She told me that a huge part of her job it to try to teach preschool teachers to teach children the way a dedicated mother would at home! She said there is no better preparatory learning than what a dedicated parent can provide and children that come from homes with stay at home moms who are an active part of their kids' lives always soar into school and do very well. It's the one on one attention and focus that kids are able to get from their parents that makes all the difference, and even with multiple children at home, the focus is still more centered on each child than it can be in a preschool. And who knows my children better than I to be able to find the best teaching style and approach for them to learn to their fullest potential? No one knows better than myself and my husband.
After discussing all of these things, my husband and I realized we already are homeschooling them! Any parent, even working parents with school age children, is teaching their children something at home! Like it or not, we as parents ARE our children's primary teachers. We just decided to run with it and make the commitment to find every opportunity to teach and prepare them for their future career in school. I just got a bit more organized, worked out a lesson plan so that I will be careful not to miss things that I may have missed just going about our day. I organized the play room and created our school zone. Knowing that we carry that responsibility all ourselves makes that commitment very easy to keep. I have no choice, there is no preschool teacher to fall back on; no one else is being held accountable for my kids' preparatory education. Just my hubby and myself.
Another reason is that I can work our curriculum into what's going on in our lives at any given moment. As a family, we appreciate the differences we all have in this world and I feel that sometimes society doesn't allow us to embrace these differences. Teaching my children at home during their most formative years allows me to decide what to spend a little more time on and what not. I can teach my children about the differences around the world and people's unique qualities with our family's moral and spiritual values in check. I can teach my children to embrace diversity and appreciate people for who they are and all the unique quirks they come with and to love them they way Christ loves them.
I also feel like there are so many outside influences on my kids. Some are good and some are maybe not so good. And while I don't intend to shelter them from reality, I don't think that it would harm them to have their siblings and parents be their primary influence at this point in their lives. They will have years and years to be influenced by their school peers, career peers, and the entire world in general. But God gave them to me, to be sheltered by my wings and I think it's just fine for me to keep them right there for a little while longer. ;)
I like that I can be flexible and productive doing school at home. If I see something advertised at a museum or library that correlates with what we are learning about, there is no schedule besides our own to change so that we can up and go. I can truly take advantage of EVERY opportunity that presents itself. I can also be more productive, meaning there is no unwanted downtime. There is no waiting to cycle through the other kids or waiting for the teacher. What takes hours in a day at preschool I can accomplish in 30 minutes a day because I can focus all my attention at one time. Of course waiting for your turn and waiting for the teacher or in line teaches valuable lessons of patience and how to take turns. I can incorporate these into our daily lives however, and still be able to much more productive and accomplish more school-wise. I just like that we won't be forced to waste any time, but instead can use every moment.
I'm excited to be able to teach my kids, watch them grow and learn so many exciting things. I'm excited to take them on little trips wherever we want to go, whatever suits our fancy and provides a learning opportunity.
And the very last reason (well that I can think of right now) is that I just plain like my kids. I don't just like them, I love them. And of course I need a break every now and then to let my hair down and kick my feet up, but I have a wonderful husband that gives me those chances when I need them. However, when I'm away from my children, I just want to be with them. We will probably send our children to traditional school after preschool, so pretty soon they will be off to school for at least twelve years. Why rush it and throw in one more year? I love having them with me and I love seeing them grow and learn. I know my patience will be tested, it has already. But I have God to help me stay patient and He gives me His wisdom to impart to my kids. I need only to ask. I feel that there is no better person than myself and my husband to teach our kids right now. We trust no one more than each other. We are so excited to be taking on this role in our kids' lives and so proud of our children. Kaelyn's eyes light up when we do "school time" and she calls me her teacher during the times when we sit down to do writing exercises or pre-reading practices.
At first it felt like a huge burden and I kept wondering if I would be capable of doing this. But I've realized that while teaching my kids preschool at home is not the easiest choice I could have made, it is the best choice. It is a huge responsibility and a lot of work, but the greatest joy and honor to be my kids' teacher.
I know that this is not the decision for everyone. Most everyone in our lives are getting excited to send their kiddos to school for their first year. And what an exciting time it truly is for everyone! I am not writing this to say that this is the best or the right way for everyone, just the best and the right way for us and for our family and what we desire for our family and children. Now when my kids ask me someday why they were home schooled for preschool I won't have a brain fart. ;)
Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are welcome!