On a lighter note, our family of five is functioning quite efficiently the last couple weeks! I think I may have found our groove! Besides being on some sort of getting sick carasel, we are doing really well! I have even been having people ask me how I am doing it so well with three little ones! I wouldn't say I'm doing it "so well," I just think that we found our groove! Yay!
The first step was seriously just getting up and out and making it happen. Haha! So I thought I'd share a little bit here and there about what's working for my family and I. Perhaps some of it will be helpful to some of you and your families. First subject, my notebook and calendars. I tried to think of a fancier term for the notebook, like classified mom planner, or personal data organizer, but really it's just a spiral bound notebook. I I have become an absolute lunatic about calendars and planners. I have my personal planner in my purse at all times and have a family calendar with spots for each person on each day to fill out appointments, events, etc. I have really been super nazi about keeping everything updated and filled out, even if I think I will remember, I still jot it down just in case.
I also carry around a half-size spiral bound notebook with two pocketed dividers in it. This is the deified Notebook. Not the mushy love story, no this notebook is the central hub for our family, and especially myself!
I keep coupons, grocery ads, prescriptions, stamps, mail, papers for certain errands on errand days (such as checks to deposit), return receipts, recipes that are on the menu to try out and other handy papers in the pockets so that I always have what I need. :) I use the notebook to keep a running to do list and shopping list, seperated by week. If I do a daily list I just feel disappointed when I don't finish everything, but a weekly one always gives me more time to catch up! And I only plan for five days, allowing two days for absolutely nothing to get done, because that always happens. Whether it's a play date gone all day long or spur of the moment family day, I like to allow for two free days. I also keep my meal plans for the week written down with references to recipes if needed (or if it's a magazine clipping, the recipe stays in the pocket) and then it's easy to write my shopping list right beside my menu. This notebook is definitely my CPU, my central processing unit. I have it with me all the time and write everything in it, even just ideas or reminders to call whoever. It is my saving grace.
I know that many families have different systems to keep track of everything and many moms have different things to keep everyone going and doing what they need to be doing. This system works amazing for me and after trying a couple different things, I have realized that it doesn't matter what the system is, just that you have one. I believe that for most families it is so important to keep track of all of these things and when that responsibility falls predominantly on one family member, a stay at home mom for example, it is imperative that person figures out a system that works for them. I think it helps things go smoother, stay more structured, there are less things forgotten or overlooked, less appointments missed or that we are late to. It helps my peace of mind also. I feel much more calm knowing that there is one place I can keep everything for the week and each week I can cross things off, clean out the pockets, turn a page and start a new week. It really has helped the efficiency of our home improve by leaps and bounds!
So that's it for now. If a notebook isn't for you, great, but find some sort of system that can help tame the chaos of a regular week in the home. It will bring such a sense of calm and control, you will be so glad you did!
I liked this post! I'm in SERIOUS need of some sort of system. I tried a big binder..but it was too bulky. I may try a spiral. It's simple and seems like it would be A LOT easier to carry around. Thanks for sharing your ideas!
ReplyDelete