Friday, February 12, 2010

Our life with Three, thus far

Well, today marks two weeks since I came home from the hospital with Wayde. Wow, time really does go by so very quickly. Wayde grew two inches and gained one pound his first two weeks, so apparently he's happy and doing well. Here's a little update on how our family is doing since becoming a family of five. ;o)

I was SO thrilled to be home and SO happy to be with my husband and kids. And it was super nice to hear how my husband missed me while I was away and he manned the fort at home. In fact, while I was in the hospital just itching to get discharged, he kept calling and calling the last day asking if I was ready, what the Dr said and venting about his experiences with the kids. After one of his phone calls where it was clear that he had been having a very difficult day with the kids not to mention the fact that Brandt had gotten some sort of awful stomach bug, I got off the phone and just started bawling when the nurse asked if I wanted more to drink. I said through ridiculous hormonal tears that I was perfectly fine and just needed to go home! She sat down and let me tell her a recap of all the phone calls I had received and just smiled as I explained that as a SAHM, it was absolutely killing me not to be home to be able to "fix" everything. She kindly reminded me that my hubby could handle it and that it would be good for him. I thought that was a nice idea and hoped it would be so. Sure enough, in the car on the way home, Kenny expressed how much he had missed me and how he really had not realized how much work it was to run the home with the two kiddos. He told me that he was shocked to see how many people it took to do my job since he was fortunate enough to have some help while I was gone. I cannot tell you how lovely it was to hear those words, I think the heavens parted and angels sang. It meant so much to know that he truly appreciates and understands my role in our family.

After coming home I was afraid that Brandt was having some issues adjusting to Wayde, but quickly realized he was just not himself because he was getting sick. So we all got a cold and tried desperately to keep away from Wayde and keep the germs down, but we just couldn't prevent it. Before long Wayde was coughing that awful little baby cough and struggling to breath through his stuffed up nose. He was like that for a couple days and then his nose cleared up and I started to hear it in his chest. Of course we were running the humidifier and using saline drops but the poor thing just kept sounding so bad! He started to wheeze a little bit and then all of his breathing was just very short and shallow, it sounded like he was always panting. I took him to the Dr for his two week check and told her about his cold. She listened to his lungs and became quite alarmed. She said that he sounded really bad and started breathing treatments on him, sending us home with a nebulizer to use every four hours. They saw us every day at the office for four days and Dr. Hurwitz even called our home two nights to check on him. He wasn't improving much so they gave him steroid shots and that seemed to help more. However, the steroids affect him the way they do me; he got all jittery and jumpy, he was VERY irritable and couldn't sleep and was having constant leg and arm twitching. So after seeing that he was improving this weekend, we only have to do the treatments once a day for the next couple weeks and hopefully he'll be all better! Whew! So we've had a very very busy week!

Earlier in the week I did take the kids to a darling little Sweetheart party for Valentine's day. It was adorable, thrown by their friends' Ella and Calli and their moms. Jessica wrote about the party on her party blog here. There, Brandt developed his first serious crush. He fell hard for Kelsey, Sarah's little girl, just a couple days older than Brandt. He followed her around the party, held her hand every chance he got, stroked her hair, face and eyelashes, brought her toys and candy, kissed her and even did a happy dance after their little kiss. It was precious and what perfect timing for a first crush, his first Valentine's day party! He and his BFF Luke helped clean up the party by polishing off the jars of treats and candies on the craft table. And I have no idea how many cookies he consumed. Thanks ladies for such a sweet party!

My mom has been in town for the last two weeks to see and help with the baby. It's been great having her and the kids have just been in heaven. She went home this weekend and I was sad to see her go, although it did bring a little bit of a bittersweet feeling. I really appreciate her help and could definitely use it a while longer, but at the same time I am eager to get into my own routine and figure out our system here on our own. Love you mom!

Sarah of Itsy Bitsy Photography did Wayde's newborn pictures. They turned out amazing, but I truly didn't expect anything less! Thank you Sarah for capturing such precious moments for our family!I will get some other pictures up of the last couple weeks soon!


Our family of five is off and running, wish us luck as we try to figure out what we're doing moment by moment! ;o)






1 comment:

  1. aww..i love this post. and kenny is so right..you are such a great mommy! :) i'm so glad wayde is getting better. i still need my snuggle time with him! ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!