Fleeting. What a strange word. It is an adjective defined as follows:
– passing swiftly; vanishing quickly; transient; transitory
I love that word and hate it at the same time. I look forward constantly. To tomorrow. To next year. To when "we're older." To after nap time, scratch that, I look forward to when it's nap time. I love that when you make a mistake, you can generally count on things "passing swiftly" and know that there will be another chance.
Yet, I hate that too. I hate that my babies are passing swiftly before me. I hate that those heavenly moments in our lives "vanish quickly."
Love. Hate. Fleeting.
The last few days have been far from fleeting. We have been ridiculously busy around here with a couple catering jobs and three little ones underfoot. The minutes have seemed to drag on as I caught myself dazing off multiple times, dreaming of the next day that has nothing scheduled (It falls somewhere between Halloween and Christmas). I have been wishing that these days would pass a bit more swiftly and then again, we find ourselves staring at the clock at the end of the day wondering where the time went and wishing it wasn't so fleeting. Apparently I am difficult to please.
The other day Kenny and I were working hard all day preparing for these jobs and the kids had been left to their own devices for the entire day, literally. Around four o'clock in the afternoon when both big kids were hanging on my legs and sounding very much like cats in heat and the baby couldn't be set down for a moment without screaming and turning bright red (poor baby had ear infections).
Kenny and I just looked at each other completely exasperated. I knew he was getting frustrated because we had so much to do and didn't want to be up all night long doing it. I gave him a look that said "I'm sorry..." with a slight ring of helplessness to it. He smiled and said
"It's okay. They just want to be with us."
So true!!
How many years are left until my children are running off with friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, football games, concerts and any other reason to show their independence?
How long until they are reminding me that they are not my babies anymore?
Not enough, that's for sure!
I know those times are going to come quickly and I am not looking forward to it!
Sure a little peace and quiet would be nice every now and again, but I would trade in peace and quiet for some peanut butter smeared chubby cheeks pressed against my face giving me kisses or some muddy little sausage fingers wrapped around my hand any day.
In fact, I already have made that trade.
Three times.
And I am so glad I did.
Because time is fleeting.
Tomorrow brings peace and quiet.

what a great post.... keep embracing peanut butter and mud for as long as it's possible.... :)
ReplyDeleteohhhhh i was just thinking this today!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful thoughts. It's so difficult to see what is really important sometimes when we get too focused on what "needs to be done". You are such a wonderful mother to be able to stop and enjoy these moments with your babies in the midst of chaos, because a lot of people aren't able to do that. I hope to be that selfless someday too. :)
ReplyDelete