So, today, out of nowhere, I told Kenny I missed dating him. Haha...I love being his wife of course, and I absolutely love the life we are building together. But, sometimes, I miss dating him. When we were dating, he was the kind of boyfriend that showed up out of nowhere with a bunch of roses or a package of black socks. Haha, at the time where I worked I had to wear black socks. I only had one pair and I kept getting remarks about wearing white socks, so he suprised me once with black socks! Haha! He was the kind of boyfriend that would call me the night before our "weekend" and tell me to pack. Then he'd show up and off we'd go for a mini vacation! Always random, always lovely, always fun. He'd bring me candies, he took me to lots of fun things, he suprised me with jewelry. He always listened to things I'd say or talk about even when they were indirect and then he would have some suprise later like a cd I said I wanted to hear. Always thinking...he was good. We were a pretty spontanious couple and very busy. We had a lot of fun dating. And then whenever we didn't agree on something, somehow it was so much easier just to let it go and not really care if we didn't see eye to eye. Of course, we did argue, but all the little things seemed so much littler. Now that we are married and have children, we cannot be spontanious the way we used to. We don't really bring each other suprises anymore, we bring the kids things! We go to kid-friendly places to shop, eat and play and everything revolves around the kids. Which, of course is great and I knew that would be the way things were. I looked forward to this phase in my life, and now that I am here, I do enjoy it. I knew it would be like this, I just didn't realize I'd miss dating!! But I do...only sometimes, but today is one of those days. I wish that when Kenny got home from work tonight I could be all snazzied up and we could just go out together. But you know, that's okay. Instead I will have on my pajamas (maybe I will trade in the sweats and t-shirt for a nice set or nightgown for just tonight ;o) and we will sit down, chat about our day, check on the kids (who will hopefully be fast asleep) and watch Biggest Loser while drinking some hot vanilla chai with whipped cream. And honestly, maybe that's all I would want to do anyway! Maybe that would be our date night! Sounds nice enough to me!
I just need to remind myself that spontaneous mini vacations and black socks will still be there in 20 years, but my kids will likely be out and on their own. So these moments are fleeting and even though I miss dating Kenny, where we are at now is perfect, exactly where we are supposed to be.
i love this..and couldn't agree more. there are so many days i just wish we could take off on the vacations we used to go on..or the luxury of just running to dinner and a movie. i can hardly remember those days. they seem so long ago. and you're right..i love the point we are at too..where everything is focused on our family..i could not imagine my life any other way. and what will seem like a blink of an eye these days will be gone! so sad :( i will stop here before i really start depressing myself. hahaha!
ReplyDeleteMmmm sounds like your old mother. You are a great mother and wife. Do trade in the sweats for a night gown. Your date nights are going to be at home for a long time and just a sweet and wonderful as going out. With Kennys job and the kids you have to plan the date nights, but do plan them. It is so refreshing for the two of you to do this. Sure wish I lived closer I would love to be there for at least a once a month weekend get-a-way for you. Plan Plan Plan is the name o the game now. OX OX
ReplyDeleteI know what you're talking about! I miss the little things Bob used to do while we were dating...and we could definitely be more spontaneous. I like that you are still content with the way life is for you now, though. oh, and I love the song playing right now by Darius Rucker...I heard it the other day for the 1st time and got teary-eyed! Every time I get stressed/annoyed about how much Ethan cries/how much I have to feed him, I will now think, "it won't be like this for long"..he'll be grown soon, and then I'll miss this phase of his life!
ReplyDeleteHope your week is going great!
-Kari